- Don’t cry.
- Don’t talk to strangers.
- Don’t lie.
- Don’t steal.
- Don’t hangout with “bad” friends.
- Don’t talk to boys.
- Don’t have sex.
- Don’t show your emotions.
- Don’t let people know your relationship issues.
- Don’t bring shame on your family.
We are raised with a huge list of things we shouldn’t do. I wonder if most of us would be more rounded adults if the people around us encouraged us to do certain things instead.
- Cry if you have to.
- Engage in meaningful conversations.
- Say things that bring people up.
- Be generous.
- Pick friends that share your goals.
- Interact with the opposite sex at a pace comfortable for you.
- Have safe sex.
- Show your emotions, it’s healthy.
- Talk to your friends and family about what you’re going through, seek professional help if you need it.
- We’re proud of you no matter what you do.
I can’t blame our parents or society for this though…even most of the 10 commandments are a list of don’ts.