I remember being a child and looking up to the cool aunties and uncles and thinking I can’t wait to be an adult. They always seemed so independent, looked so put together, could do whatever they wanted and most importantly had a lot of money. Now I’m an adult and I feel so betrayed. Nobody told me it was gonna be so hard. No one gave me a list of things I should look out for like:
1. Being smart at school has almost nothing to do with you “making it” in real life.
2. Being independent ain’t all that when life drops a bomb on you and you have to figure out how to resolve the damn problem.
3. You definitely can’t do whatever you want, if anything there’s a whole bunch more expectations you have to meet (don’t get me started on this one..lol).
4. The money is nothing when you have a shitload of bills to pay.
5. There is no happily ever after, you’re not gonna meet someone who just gets you and is perfect for you blah blah blah. You make do with what you have and try not to kill each other.
There’s a whole bunch more, trust me I could go on for forever. But I wish someone had at least given me an inkling that it wasn’t all that. Maybe I would have stopped trying so hard to be an adult and just enjoyed my childhood while I had it….yeah right.